Friday 13 April 2012

Birthday Cooking


Hello, it's Sophia again in Little Lush Cooks land. You must be wondering about my apple pie for my birthday...it tasted perfect with my lemon custard but every one was so fixed on eating it that they forgot to take photos!

My birthday was busy and exciting. My little brother, Isaac, cooked me teddy bear birthday cakes - I will include the recipe later. He made a dairy free, low salicylate vanilla cake so that my other brother and sister could eat it. I made teddy bear biscuits, and baking powder!



The best thing about turning 8, is that now there is only 10 years until I can become a thermomix consultant like my mum - but that didn't stop me from doing my own demonstration for my friends.

First I made fresh strawberry sorbet - using the spicy apple water I froze in the ice trays - I think everyone loved it but they probably ate it too quickly as they got brain freeze.

 

Next up was my buckwheat and grain bread rolls. My friend and I loved shaping them


I made low salicylate chicken risotto for the dinner and finished with the lemon custard and my apple pie. I had lots of fun and hope everyone else did as well.

I promised the cake recipe - it's just changed a tiny bit from the Every Day Cookbook, and as you saw, my 6 year old brother can make it:

Dairy Free Vanilla Cake:


Ingredients

120g Nuttelex
2 Eggs
100g Rice Milk (home made- but bought is ok)
1tsp vanilla sugar or pure essence
130g sugar
160g self raising flour
1tsp baking powder

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease a ring tin, or muffin tins or bear tins :)
Put nuttelex into the TM, and blend 30 seconds, 50degrees, speed 2
Add everything else. Mix 30 seconds speed 5.
Get mum to pour it into the tins.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-35 minutes depending on the tin you use.

We sprinkle with citric icing sugar for the low salicylate people at our house, but cinnamon sugar tastes yummier - mum calls this a tea cake.

I'll be making more biscuits with my birthday biscuit cutters - stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sophia, sounds awesome! I'll have to show your second cousins so they can get Thermomixing too. They like cooking but aren't quite as enthusiastic as you are.
    xo Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi, I am glad you are enjoying looking at my blog page. I am sure my second cousins are doing excellent cooking too. Many Thanks, Sophia

      Delete